Living in comfort in the summer can be taken for granted, especially until you encounter a taste of discomfort with an air conditioner breakdown. It can happen at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and suddenly realize how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so hot bound in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uneasiness? It might be the moment for an air conditioner replacement.
Usually, it isn’t the thermostat’s mistake; the settings can be working appropriately, but it still reads that the temperature is over 80 degrees. It’s often times caused by an old or faulty air conditioner that needs a call to the pros to find out what’s wrong. There are many reasons why air conditioners break down, especially taking into consideration the weather in Pflugerville. Here are a few things that you can examine for before you call Evenaire Heating & Air Conditioning if you think your air conditioner has broken down:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your exterior air conditioning system that helps move the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you inspect your system and see that the fan isn’t functioning properly, it means that the heat transfer isn’t happening, causing the warm air to remain in your home. This problem can also cause overheating of the compressor and other possible internal damage to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most familiar problems that Evenaire Heating & Air Conditioning sees. These unclean filters in your air conditioner lower proper airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season hits. Filthy air filters can also reduce the efficiency in your home and increase your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always look for an barrier or jam in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can set off your air conditioner to waste efficiency and reduce speed.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t hidden by furniture or other home items, too.
- Outside obstructions: Good air flow could be also slowed down from outdoor obstructions near your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is altered, it can affect it’s cooling capacities. Make sure that your system is uninhibited by obstacles and is cleaned regularly to reduce the possibility of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve completed these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t operating, here are a list of questions and tests that you should check and answer to get your system up and functioning again. (Only progress to the next question if the system doesn’t turn on after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature programmed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL position?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box whole or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things fix your system operation, call Evenaire Heating & Air Conditioning at 512-355-1482.
Don’t let an air conditioner failure or replacement keep you awake at night. If you follow these procedures and keep your system under annual maintenance, you should have you air conditioner running again in no time. Our team at Evenaire Heating & Air Conditioning in Pflugerville is always here to assist – give us a call at 512-355-1482.