According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet hair?
5. Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Evenaire Heating & Air Conditioning in Pflugerville about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the pros at Evenaire Heating & Air Conditioning. Annual inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Checking your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts clean.
Other ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and put in new filters when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Pflugerville home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Evenaire Heating & Air Conditioning at 512-355-1482 or schedule an appointment online.