Spring is in the air here in Pflugerville and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Evenaire Heating & Air Conditioning team has some recommendations that will help keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home appear as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to correspond with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your awesome vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to conserve energy while you’re out of town is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Evenaire Heating & Air Conditioning in Pflugerville a call at 512-355-1482.